Everyday, countless US citizens connect and meet potential foreign fiancées on the internet. Once the decision has been made to marry, the question arises, “How do I bring my beloved to the USA?” The following tips below will help you gather and potentially expedite the process of getting your fiancé to the USA.
- Meet in Person: K-1 regulations require that the foreign fiancée and the US citizen actually meet in person. While the regulations do not require more than one meeting, multiple meetings are always better to show that the relationship is bona fide and not intended only to get an immigration benefit.
- Get Your Finances in Order: Part of the K-1 process involves the US citizen showing that he or she can serve as a financial sponsor. That is, that the foreign fiancée will not become a public charge. If the US citizen is currently unemployed or has not been filing federal tax returns, these issues should be addressed as soon as possible to avoid complications at the interview.
- Obtain the Necessary Documents: There are numerous documents that both the foreign fiancée and the US citizen must obtain. These include copies of birth certificates, divorce decrees, custody letters, employment verification letter, bank statements, plane ticket stubs, etc. The amount of documentation that needs to be gathered can be overwhelming. Add to this anecdotal evidence of some consular officers have demanded to see and it can be quite confusing. In view of this, it is important to work with a seasoned immigration attorney who can provide guidance on what documents need to be gathered, in what format, and at what times during the process. Not all documents need to be gathered at the beginning, nor should they. Some documents have an expiration date and obtaining them too early could turn out to be a waste of time and resources.
- Continue Communicating: During the interview, the officer will spend time reviewing the relationship and determining how the couple communicates. Do they speak a common language? If not, how effective can they communicate? Couples who rely on online Google translator will have a harder time getting through the interview than those who can communicate in the foreign fiancee’s native language.
- Get to Know Each Other: While this sounds obvious, its importance cannot be emphasized enough. Unfortunately, some foreign fiancées are only interested in obtaining a green card. While some US citizens are only interested in having free domestic help. Neither is a good basis for a relationship and not a valid reason for applying for a K-1 fiancee visa. Take time to get to know one another, Really understand where the other person is at. Developing a relationship is always a challenging endeavor. Cross-cultural communication makes this even more challenging. The majority of individuals have legitimate motives. Taking things slowly can help ensure that both individuals can adequately understand one another’s true intentions.
If you are interested in bringing your foreign fiancé(e) over to the USA, please contact me for a free consultation.
Theodore Huang, Esq. has been practicing business immigration, EB-5 investor, and family immigration law since 1997. Attorney Huang has 18 recommendations on LinkedIn, an “Excellent” Avvo rating and received the Avvo “Clients’ Choice Award for 2013”. He personally handles his cases without outsourcing. He has written numerous articles on visa matters affecting foreign new hires, start-ups, and intracompany transfers. His articles have appeared on www.VisaSoup.com, www.MyVisa.com, and www.GoFianceeVisa.com