Posts Tagged ‘conditional permanent residency’

I-751 Processing Times: Removing Conditional Permanent Resident Status

Thursday, March 29th, 2012

Under some circumstances, certain permanent residents will receive a conditional permanent resident card. Prior to the 2 year anniversary of receiving conditional permanent resident status, the individual must apply to remove the conditional status. This must be done within 90 days of the 2 year anniversary.

Currently, the USCIS is taking about 6 months to process these types of applications. This can pose problems for individuals whose conditional green cards are expiring but who need to travel while the removal of conditional permanent resident status application is pending. Travel may be permissible, but it is important to have the proper documents on hand to facilitate reentry into the USA at the end of the trip abroad.

Problems can arise when a couple forgets to track the 2 year anniversary and either fails to submit an application to remove the conditional status, or fails to do so in a timely manner. In this case, what result? Also, what happens if the couple is no longer together? Does this mean the recipient of the conditional green card will lose his or her permanent resident status? Our office has experience working with these unusual situations and would be happy to provide a free consultation. Please call or emailĀ us.


I-751 Removal of Conditional Permanent Resident Status Update Problems

Monday, February 27th, 2012

Some I-751 applicants can’t get updates

Applicants who have submitted I-751 removal of conditional permanent resident status applications may find it difficult getting updates on where their applications are in the process. Unfortunately, there is an issue in the USCIS status update computer systems where users who enter in their receipt number into the USCIS online status system may get an error message. The error message may give the applicant an impression that his/her case cannot be found.

If this is happening to your case, contact us to see how we can help you determine the status of your I-751 filing. Call 626-771-1078.