I frequently get this question. The short answer is… it depends.
There are numerous factors to consider when determining whether a couple should apply for a fiancee visa or a spousal visa. Some questions include the following:
1. How long has the couple known each other?
2. How many times have they seen each other on different trips?
3. Has the U.S. citizen previously applied for an immigrant benefit for another foreign applicant?
4. Does the foreign national have any past U.S. immigration violations?
5. What is the couple’s timetable?
6. Does the couple face any cultural or familial restrictions on where they can marry?
7. Are there any financial considerations to keep in mind?
8. Does the foreign fiancee have any children? If so, what are their ages?
These are just a handful of the many questions that need to be examined. Therefore, if you are wondering whether you should marry your foreign fiance(e) in their home country or bring that person here on a fiance(e) visa, please contact me for a free consultation.