Expediting a K-1 Fiancee Visa Petition
Visitors often ask what are the criteria the USCIS uses to determine whether to grant an expedite request. It should be noted that all expedite requests are reviewed on a case-by-case basis, and are granted at the discretion of the Director. The burden is on the applicant or petitioner to demonstrate that one or more of the expedite criteria have been met. The criteria are as follows:
- Severe financial loss to company or individual
- Extreme emergent situation
- Humanitarian situation
- Nonprofit status of requesting organization in furtherance of the cultural and social interests of the United States
- Department of Defense or National Interest Situation (Note: Request must come from official United States Government entity and state that delay will be detrimental to our Government)
- USCIS error
- Compelling interest of USCIS
In view of the above, it is challenging to demonstrate to the USCIS that a compelling reason exists. While couples miss each other terribly and want to be reunited as soon as possible, this is not a sufficient reason for the USCIS to grant expedited processing for a K1 fiancee visa.
If you think that you may have a suitable reason to expedite your fiancee visa, please contact my office to discuss your situation, and see how we can help you. I have been successful in requested expedited processing for K-1 fiance visa petitions.